The Catwalk

The CatwalkPlease note: The Catwalk National Scenic Trail is temporarily closed due to damage sustained during recent floods. For further information, please contact the Visitor Center at 575-538-5555.

The Catwalk National Scenic Trail offers a fascinating glimpse into the geologic and historic foundations of southwest New Mexico. The result of cataclysmic volcanic actions, the area now offers a beautiful picnic spot next to Whitewater Creek, a challenging one-mile trail along the historic 1890’s mining waterway, and a sense of place that creates images of an earlier time.

Its Unique Name: The name for the area, The Catwalk, refers to the original plank-board walkway placed atop the steel pipe used to bring water to the ore processing plant, ruins of which can still be seen near the parking area. Although most of the pipe is now gone, much of the modern all-access trail follows this original route, winding right through the center of the creek canyon perched safely a dozen feet above the creek. Keep an eye out for trout cruising in the waters below.

The Trail: The first portion of the trail is relatively easy and leads to hidden pools and splashing waterfalls — magical spots in our high desert environment. Beyond the developed trail, more rigorous trails lead into the Gila Wilderness. Consult with the Forest Service before venturing beyond the Catwalk trail area.

The Catwalk Recreation Area is a day-use area and is open from sunrise to sunset. A parking fee of $3.00 per vehicle is paid at a self-pay station in the parking lot. Camping is available elsewhere in the Glenwood area.

About the Catwalk: Whitewater Canyon, site of the famous Catwalk, was a central point in the mining history of this area. The town called both Graham and Whitewater grew up around a mill built by John T. Graham in 1893 and lived less than 10 years. All that remains to mark the spot is part of the mill walls still clinging to the west side of the canyon near the entrance to The Catwalk. The mines above the canyon were worked from their discover in 1889 until 1942 (Billy the Kid’s stepfather, William Antrim, was a blacksmith at Graham).

The Helen Mining Company was first to develop 13 claims about 4 miles upstream from the mill which could not be built closer to the mines because of the rough, narrow canyon. A 3 mile long, 4″ metal pipeline provided a continuous water supply to the town and its electric generator. Although a larger 18″ pipeline was built in 1897 to run a big, new generator, the present day Catwalk follows the route of the original line.

Pipe used in the water line was delivered to the site on wagons drawn by teams of up to 40 horses. Ore was pulled down the mountain to an ore chute on the ridge just above the mill by smaller teams.

Brace holes were drilled into the solid rock walls, sometimes 20 feet above the canyon floor, to hold the timbers and iron bars that supported the smaller water line along its meandering course. Some of the original 18″ pipes support sections of the present Catwalk.

The massive rock walls of Whitewater Canyon saw few visitors until the Civilian Conservation Corps was assigned the task of rebuilding The Catwalk as a recreation attraction for the Gila National Forest.

***

El Barandal del Gato

Cinco millas por el camino del cañon Whitewater desde Glenwood te traerá al lado oeste del extraordinario Catwalk. Este barandal-puente de 250 pies se detiene de los lados de las peñas del canyon Whitewater que en unos lugares nada mas mide 20 pies de ancho y 250 pies de profundidad. Hay muchos lugares en donde un explorador puede dejar el barandal y descansar sobre el zacate de la ribera del arroyo al resguarde de arboles sicomoros.

El cañon Whitewater, sitio del famoso Catwalk, era un punto central durante la época de minería. El pueblo que se llamó Graham, y también, Whitewater, creció alrededor de un molino construido por John T. Graham en 1893 y duró menos de los diez años. Lo unico que queda para marcar el sitio es parte del las paredes del molino que se agarran al lado oeste del cañon cerca de la entrada al Catwalk. Las minas en la cabecera del cañon se trabajaron desde su descubrimiento en 1889 hasta 1942 (el padrastro de Billy the Kid, El Chamaco Billy, William Antrim, era un herrero en Graham).

La compañía minera Helen fué la primera en desarollar 13 derechos a unas cuatro millas arroyo arriba del molino que no se pudo construir mas cerca de las minas por el estrecho, aspero cañon. Una linea de tres millas de metal de cuatro pulgadas supliá agua continua al pueblo y su generador eléctrico. Aunque una tubería, mas grande, de l8 pulgadas se construyo én 1897 para dar poder a un nuevo y mas grande generador, el Catwalk de hoy día sigue la ruta de la linea original.

Los tubos usados en la linea de agua fueron llevados al sitio en carros de troncos hasta de 40 caballos. El metal se echaba por la montaña a un conducto en el lomo arriba del Molino por troncos pequeños

Hoyos se hicieron en las paredes solidas de piedra, a veces 20 pies arriba del suelo del cañon, para detener postes y barras de fierro que sostenían la linea de agua pequeña en su camino serepentino. Algunos de los tubos de l8 pulgadas sostenían secciones del presente barandalpuente.

***

Katzenweg (Der Catwalk)

Wenn Sie dem Whitewater Canyon Road von Glenwood für fünf Meilen (8 km) folgen, gelangen Sie zum westlichen Ende des ungewöhnlichen Catwalk (Katzenweg). Dieser 75 Meter lange Metallsteg hängt an der Seite des felsübersäten Whitewater Canyon, der an manchen Stellen nur 6m breit und 75m tief ist. An vielen Stellen kann der Wanderer die Stahlkonstruktion verlassen und sich auf den grasbewachsenen Ufern des schattigen Sycamore-Stroms entspannen.

Das Whitewater Canyon, wo sich der berühmte Catwalk befindet, spielt eine zentrale Rolle in den Sagen vom Bergbau. Die Siedlung, die sowohl Graham als auch Whitewater hieß, entstand um eine Mühle herum, die von John T. Graham 1893 errichtet wurde und nur 10 Jahre in Betrieb war. Nur ein Teil des Mauerwerks der Mühle ist übriggeblieben, der immer noch an der westlichen Seite des Canyons in der Nähe des Anfangs des Catwalks steht. Die Minen oberhalb des Canyons wurden seit ihrer Entdeckung 1889 bis 1942 ausgebeutet (der Stiefvater von Billy The Kid, William Antrim, war Schmied in Graham).

Die Helen Mining Company war die erste, die 13 Claims etwa 6 km flussaufwärts der Mine ausbeutete. Diese konnten wegen des rauen, engen Canyons nicht näher an den Minen eingerichtet werden. Ein 5km langes Metallrohr mit 10cm Durchmesser sorgte für eine kontinuierliche Wasserversorgung der Siedlung und ihres Kraftwerks. Obwohl 1897 ein größeres Rohr mit 45cm Durchmesser gebaut wurde, um ein neues, großes Kraftwerk zu versorgen, folgt der heutige Catwalk immer noch dem ursprünglichen Verlauf.

Die Rohre für die Wasserleitung wurden auf Wagen angeliefert, die von bis zu 40 Pferden gezogen wurden. Erz wurde von kleineren Arbeitsgruppen von den Bergen heruntergebracht zu einer Erzrinne am Felsgrat direkt über der Mühle.
In die massiven Felswände wurden Klammern getrieben manchmal 6m über dem Boden des Canyons um die Balken und Verstrebungen zu befestigen, die die kleinere Wasserleitung, entlang ihres gewundenen Wegs, hielten. Einige der 45cm-Originalrohre stützen Teile des Catwalk.

Die massiven Felswände des Whitewater Canyon waren wenig besucht, bis das zivile Konservierungskorps damit beauftragt wurde, den Catwalk als Freizeitattraktion für den Gila-Nationalwald wiederaufzubauen. Der heutige Catwalk aus Metall wurde 1961 und 2004 von der Forstverwaltung erbaut.

Fahrzeit etwa 1 Stunde von Silver City auf US-180, 10 Minuten von Glenwood.