Tamal Fiesta y Más
Get in the holiday mood with traditional Christmas treats and Borderland favorites: tamales, capirotada, bizcochos, Mexican hot chocolate, and even red-chile kettle corn . . . and much more! The first Saturday in December is the date to mark on your calendar as Silver City hosts the New Mexico Tamal Fiesta y Más in the heart of Historic Downtown. Stroll along our decorated streets, visit traditional crafts vendors and our eclectic shops and galleries, and enjoy some of the best holiday food in the Americas: Eat tamales right on the spot at the festival, or order a dozen to take home!
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 7th – ON BROADWAY WEST OF BULLARD STREET:
- 10am-3pm: Food and Folk Art Vendors open all day
- Music by Mariachi Rosas del Desierto & Mariachi Fuego del Sol
- Tamal Judging – awards for best traditional and sweet tamales
- 1-3 pm: Tardeada – Music by Geli & The Heartbreakers – street party with live music, dancing, shopping and FOOD!
AT THE SILVER CITY MUSEUM, 312 W. BROADWAY:
- Friday, Dec. 6 – 2:00pm: Book signing with Stacia Spragg-Braude, author of “If There’s Squash Bugs in Heaven, I Ain’t Staying,” a wonderful book about a woman farmer from Corrales, NM
- Saturday, Dec. 7 – 10:00am for adults, 1:00pm for children: Tamal-making workshops with Consuelo Hester. Learn about cultural heritage in the kitchen! Also, the Museum will have printouts of traditional Hispanic recipes available all day. 3:00 pm: Presentation on Curanderismo by Athena Wolf.
AT THE SILVER CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY:
- Wednesday, Dec. 4 – 10:30am: Storytime, with an Hispanic foods theme!
Vendors for Tamal Fiesta y Más will set up along Broadway west of Bullard Street on Saturday, December 7th. There will be traditional and modern musicians and heritage activities throughout the day, so you can enjoy the holiday tastes, sounds, and sights right in the heart of our friendly small town. This festival celebrates our community’s rich and diverse heritage: People have been living here and enjoying tamales for hundreds of years, so you can be sure the best traditional and modern recipes will be on display!
Celebrate the Hispanic heritage of Southwestern New Mexico and join us for a day of family fun for all!