Get in the holiday mood with traditional Christmas treats and Borderland favorites: tamales, capirotada, bizcochos, Mexican hot chocolate, and even red-chile kettle corn . . . and much more!
Silver City hosts the Second Annual New Mexico Tamal Fiesta y Más (formerly known as the New Mexico Tamale Festival), from 10 am to 4 pm on Saturday, December 8, in the heart of Historic Downtown. Stroll along our decorated streets, visit traditional crafts vendors and our eclectic shops and galleries, and enjoy some of the best holiday food in the Americas: Eat tamales right on the spot at the festival, or order a dozen to take home!
ON BROADWAY WEST OF BULLARD STREET:
- 10-11am: Opening Ceremony with Mariachi Rosas del Desierto, the acclaimed all-girl mariachi troupe from Deming, NM
- 11:15am-noon: Matachines La Rosa del Tepeyac – traditional dancers from Chihuahua, Mexico
- Noon: Tamal Judging – awards for best traditional and gourmet tamales
- 1-4pm: Tardeada (street party with live music provided by Grant County Chicano Music Project: Friends of the Underground & The Illusion Band)
AT THE SILVER CITY MUSEUM:
- 11-11:30, 1:30-2: Bilingual storytelling
- 12-1: Flores Mexicanas (paper flower making) workshop
- 2:30-3:30: Culture in the Kitchen: Traditional Holiday Foods
Vendors for Tamal Fiesta y Más will set up along Broadway west of Bullard Street. There will be traditional and modern musicians and dancers throughout the day, so you can enjoy the holiday tastes, sounds, and sights right in the heart of our friendly small town. This festival celebrates our community’s rich and diverse heritage: People have been living here and enjoying tamales for hundreds of years, so you can be sure the best traditional and modern recipes will be on display!
Celebrate the Hispanic heritage of Southwestern New Mexico and join us for a day of family fun for all!